Saturday, April 2, 2011

White Night by Jim Butcher


I have been listening to the audiobooks of the Dresden Files Series, and I, being an aspiring author, feel more and more inadequate after every book.

The only cons that I have while listening to it, is that I also want to read the book, to see how Jim manages to construct his sentences so vividly, and sophisticated and at the same time maintaining the snarky sense of humour. I have had been in horrible situations that I listened to the book, while pausing and looking up pages to see how he did it.

I have tried to reading the books from beginning to end, and James Marsters voice continues to sound in my head, and I end up craving more of his voice. Thus, swicthing back to the audiobook.

Harry Dresden is a wizard in Chicago who can't stay away from trouble. This time he is brought in by a Murphy to investigate deaths of young witches in Chicago, and soon he finds himself in midst of the Vampire Courts power struggles.

At this point in the series, I have grown to love all the characters in it. Thomas, Murphy... I love Bob, a spirit that resides in a human skull, and loves to read romantic novels. I think he is hilarious. If anyone has read this series, and has reached this far out, they are bound to be an addict.

I usually read Urban Fantasy, with a touch of romance. I enjoy a first person POV. Usually a tough heroine going soft over a guy. The Dresden Files is the only series that I enjoy which doesn't fit my victim profile. Though, I have to say, I'd recommend it to anyone. Jim is an excellent writer, and he has created a world full of myths, and loving and hateful and livid characters.

I want to be just like Jim Butcher when I grow up. Just whithout the hair... and the beard, and the manly parts... Well.. I mean, I want to write just like Jim when I grow up.

Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment