Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Review - Once Bitten Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin

Jaz Parks is an assistant assassin who works for the CIA. She and her boss, Vayl, have just received an assignment to meet, assess, and neutralize a Miami plastic surgeon with some disturbing supernatural connection. A spunky tale with real bite.
It was nothing I expected it to be. I found this book at the horror section of the bookstore. (Why wouldn’t they have a section for Urban Fantasy? I guess this is a topic for another post. ) On that section I can also find the Anita Blake series, Georgina Kincaid series and Riley Jenson series. By the cover and description I really thought I was up for some steamy romance, Urban Fantasy style. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

It’s the first book of series of seven, and it suffers from “the first of series” syndrome. After a couple of chapters I still had the impression that I had missed a major plot, which didn’t get explained until much farther into it. It’s written on that typical Urban Fantasy style that I love: first person tough heroine with some different powers. There’s a hot vampire called Vayl and you could see the romance from right the beginning. Jaz, short for Jasmine, is a CIA agent who’s terrified of losing her job, which the book didn’t really justify why. She’s assigned to work with Vayl as assassins and her job is to make sure Vayl survives the missions.

Although I think I got cheated for expecting apples and getting bananas, I still enjoyed the book (I like bananas too). Jaz has a habit of thinking up these, weird cartoon like, jokes at the worst moments that brings a big humour element to the book. The plot was typical “Alias” style: let’s dress up in disguises, use cool high-tech gadgets and save the world.


The whole book setup for a nice romance story, but for me the story just cut too short on that part. So off I go to bookstore to get the next in the series Another One Bites the Dust, maybe we get some more kissy kissy action.

Sexual Content:  none

My Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment